OMG, these primal gluten-grain-free banana flour pancakes are GOOD and quick and easy. So easy, I can make ’em!
I am what you would call a “non-cook.” If it weren’t for my husband, we’d live on boiled pasta with butter and salt. Seriously.
And substantial? Whoa, very! In fact, so filling for breakfast we have leftovers for lunch — I had one rolled up with a slice of ham and brie the other day.
Now, I like bananas but it’s nice to be able to use this in whatever without worrying about conflicting flavors. It’s like having refined coconut oil on hand to cook without the coconut flavor.
After reading the smoothie post, Todd Francis from Wedo Banana Flour offered me a FREE pound to use as the resistant starch in the smoothie. (Just to clarify, ripe bananas are not RS. The starch has turned to sugar and it goes right through ya.)
After some consideration (like 2 seconds), I accepted.
We got the flour and it sat on the counter for about a month. Banana flour is just so weird sounding (said the woman who drinks the smoothie with all that weird stuff in it.) I thought it was really going to be banana-tasting… so I let it sit.
Then one morning, I wanted pancakes. I avoid grains and that banana flour was staring me down… so I asked Hal to make pancakes for his starving bride.
If I want to reproduce a recipe, I have to watch Hal carefully and write down everything because a) he doesn’t measure unless I ask him to, and b) he doesn’t remember what he put in it unless I’m there writing it down. With Hal, it’s all “let’s see what’s in the cupboard/fridge and add some.”
We’ve made these several times and they are DELICIOUS!
Primal Gluten/Grain-FREE Banana Flour Pancakes
Recipe makes 6-8 pancakes
- 3 eggs — hopefully from your backyard chickens 🙂
- 1/2 C sour cream (we use Daisy Brand)
- 1/2 C buttermilk
- 2/3 C Banana flour (adjust according to how thick/thin you want your cakes)
- 1 heaping tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla – buy here or get the beans (you want Grade B for extract and here’s why), a little vodka and make your own (we do)!
- Salt – I’m a salt-aholic and these pancakes are delicious without adding any. There is no sodium in the banana flour, btw.
- Berries or sliced bananas: we add the fruit when the bottom of the cake is cooked but the top is still very moist, let cook until ready to flip, then continue as usual.
- Whisk EGGS in medium sized bowl. Whisk in SOUR CREAM and BUTTERMILK, then BANANA FLOUR. Once that is all well-mixed, add in any OPTIONAL ingredients, mix well.
- Add the BAKING SODA last and whisk just enough to get it mixed in. The bs provides the “lift.” If you add too early, you get less poof.
- Cook on a pre-heated skillet/griddle over medium heat. To see if your griddle is hot enough, wet your fingers and flick a little water onto the griddle. If the water drops “dance,” you are good to go.
- Cook on one side until the edges of the pancake are dry and the top has a slight “skin” to it, then flip. It won’t need to cook as long on the second side.
- Serve with plenty of butter and a dash of syrup… yummy!
- PLEASE NOTE: This recipe works with regular flour, too!